Monday, March 16, 2009

Notes from India- March 16, 2009

I'm writing this from the Tibetan colony at Dikyiling, down the road from us. I walk here after our afternoon tea, since we already are in the spring time, which means much warmer days - hot to walk in mid-day for me! The young man who runs this shop is playing some very western music on his computer - a little hip hop. And from behind me is coming many mani prayers from the auditorium. which means many people are saying OM MANI PADME HUNG the mantra of Chenrezig and Compassion! I love it; east meets west; secular and profound!

Yesterday I went to the Bazaar with one of our nuns who was my bargainer and translator, helping me to purchase a mattress! We walked behind the monastery through the fields, past the little mandir (little temple - tomb of a saint) and down the steep path to the river and up again to the village of Rajpur. From there we caught a four-wheeled open "cab" I think called a bikram and headed to Dehradun! After stopping for a latte we then made our way into the Palden Bazaar which I personally think is a hell-realm that I avoid intensely! However, it was Sunday and quieter and by the time we got to the little shop, it still wasn't crowded and jammed by half and Ani started to do her thing. She called the proprieter "uncle" as the Indians do and they went at it, loudly going back and forth prices in rupees until an agreed price! I laughed and talked to another man who turned out to the be the owner across the way! He clearly wanted me to pay more! For about 8 American dollars, I got a cotton stuffed, soft mattress and kicked the terribly hard as a rock, musty smelling one out of the porch. I carried the mattress (like a futon) on my head as is the Indian way and had a blast walking through the market as people looked in awe at the big, white, westerner with the mattress on her head and when they'd catch my eye, smiling, I'd yell, "Jai India!" Muslim men, Hindi women, Christians, Buddhist monks and nuns, all haggling in the market place! What a cacophony of sounds and languages and playing at living our lives in diversity and yet, together.....We had a great lunch and after returning I laid down, deeply contented with this purchase. Simplicity.

To clean my 'house' and everything I own, might take a whole hour and a half! I wash clothes in a big bucket and hang them on the nun's hostel to dry, usually at night so that they only need a little sun exposure in the day to dry and I can bring them in by noon! My whole room was cleaned and the sheets spread on my bed and I felt as snug as a bug in a rug, as they say!

Our 2 day puja (prayers) on the anniversary commemorating the great Tibetan Yogi Milarepa and his teacher, Marpa, was earlier this week, March 10 and 11th. I was so grateful to be the only lay person in our hall with our nuns and the other Geylas, the Tibetan lamas who teach our nuns Tibetan, Buddhist philosophy and debate. Tuesday and Wednesday, we began at 8 am and ended around 6 pm with breaks for tea and lunch. It was very helpful to me to sit in meditation for such long periods and strengthens my daily practice; In regards to the holiday, to honor this, lights are strung from the temples and an atmosphere pervaded the monastery of reverence and a quiet Joy. The full moon competed with red lights dangling from the big hall and temple and the white lights that circumambulated the Kalachakra Temple and which guided us that night as we walked around and around, chanting quietly the mantra of Milarepa! Je Mila Sherpa dorje la solwa deb swaha! The lights represent offerings - electrical butter lamps to the Yogi and his Guru and was soft and sweet. Adding to this is the powerfully sweet scent from the citrus trees that was like incense or perfume - lovely.

I thought of my friends and family; of all of you. You walked with me then and do so now until I see you this summer back in Maryland or in Jacksonville, or South Carolina, Miami and Oklahoma! I will be leading 2 other retreats, besides the one in Maryland; in Jacksonville in late July and in Oklahoma, in August. I will send dates if you need in the next email. In all these gatherings, we will celebrate together, and this great privilege of being alive and in these times that seem to be degenerative, we will generate Hope, Compassion and Joy.

Lord, lead me from the unreal to the Real. From death to Immortality. From the false to the Truth. From chaos to beauty.

These words from the Upanishads were prayers the Gandhi-ji particularly loved and in his interdenominational prayer meetings would recite this! May it be so....Let's be led.....

Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment