Tuesday, February 24, 2009

February 23, 2009 Tibetan New Year

Hi My friends. Tomorrow is Losar, the Tibetan New Year. We are in solidarity with those in China who in protest did not want to acknowledge the new year with the traditional celebrations, but are being forced by the Chinese to do so. We will gather, then, in prayer without the festivities and traditional dance. Even though, there is a feeling of newness; the nuns have been cleaning each room, the temples and the kitchen and the grounds are swept clean and fresh today.

Last week, there was a special puja (prayers) where the monks and nuns read all the teachings of the Buddha. I was in the Temple for all 3 days, practicing meditation and the experience was such a gift. The sound is like a slow, quiet murmur, that eventually builds with an intense rythym as each one is saying and reading their part of the text out loud. Then, the cymbals and the drums and horns add to this powerfully prayerful atmosphere. I was raised by Catholic nuns for 12 years and there is much here that reminds me of them and of the feeling I had and loved in my schools - St. Rose of Lima and Notre Dame Academy!

I have had some very sweet moments sitting with the nuns during these cleaning frenzies when we take tea breaks outside, leaning on each other and laughing and making this monastery shine! The nuns share treats that they make in their rooms as well, and last night, I sat on the floor with 4 anis (nuns) who were eating vegetables with the flat bread that Ani Konchok Sangmo made in her room! It was delicious, but the company does give it a flavor that is sweet and loving - a gentle contentment.

I am in the shop here outside of the monastery at Jangchubling which I can walk to through the fields while looking around me to the Himalayan foothills. The paths are rocky and dusty although the other night a wonderful, windy storm blew through quickly at 2 am. I hope one comes again! There are some clouds lingering behind the mountain ridge that could be filled with moisture......?? I only hope!

I will have a little coffee which is made with about a teaspoon of Nescafe instant with milk - made similar to chai. We have tea but I drink very little coffee, but have come to love this treat! By the way, Arun, who owns the shop and works it with his son, Vivek and Sunil his son-in-law ,says he will teach me Hindi now - for only $500 American!

Some monks sit quietly behind me having an alloo parantha and tea (flattened bread with potato).

I will make my way back to Samten Ling and wish each of you Joy. Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment