Thursday, March 26, 2009

Trip to Nepal-- March 26, 2009

Tonight, at 11:30, I leave for the airport in Delhi. I am taking the train from Dehradun and a friend from the U.S is on the same train, which makes it a little simpler! I fly out of Delhi at noon tomorrow and will be in Kathmandu at around 2 pm! I am staying for at least 2 nights at Shechen Monastery in a town just outside of Kathmandu called Boudnath (spelling?) You can google it! It's quite nice - this monastery was started by the great Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche who has been a teacher of the Dalai Lama and is known as a great Dzogchen Master - in Buddhism, these are the highests teachings and understandings - known as the Great Seal, they are the experience of the Unity of all Truths - these teachings transcend all concepts, dogmas, forms, rituals, and other demarcations that we make with our little minds! Whenever you think of Kathmandu you will be shown a picture of the Great Stupa with the prayer flags waving in the breeze - that is where I'll be!

BTW, just before Thomas Merton's death, he himself met a "who's who" of Dzogchen masters and knew that these teachers had found, as Christ, that "peace that passes all understanding" and wanted to study with one in particular. He said, the truth is beyond the concept of God and dharmakaya! - that is, it cannot be understood, but Known and is always true! It doesn't fluctuate with markets and relationships and moods! nor with sickness and health! This Love, this Compassion always IS and is the "suchness" - the substance of reality.

I have only a small backpack with a few changes of clothes! The lightest I ever packed and it seems that I keep letting go, letting go! Even of my hair! Got a haircut yesterday by a Muslim barber, outside the Tibetan colony, with a few Hindu men watching! It cost rps 15 - pennies! Quite short and cute and EASY!!!

I have learned to make sure the details are attended to here in India - God IS in the details! I have a taxi to meet my train in Delhi and transport me to the airport; the monastery has a taxi to meet my plane on the Nepal side and the return is also accounted for! It eases the mind, but this doesn't mean, by any means, that there won't be surprises! Ah, India - what is hidden in the West abounds here -

So, I'll keep you posted. I have my camera and look forward to this retreat. Maybe Dilgo Rinpoche (founder I spoke about) will reveal some of his secrets! Who knows??? You are my family and friends and you have been with me and I take you now on this next trek!

With great LOVE, Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment